Advanced Level 3 Programme
If you are interested in working in the expanding area of space engineering, but you are not old enough to apply for the Higher Apprenticeship scheme, or do not yet have the right qualifications, then the Space Engineering Advanced Level 3 programme is for you. Designed to provide a pathway to university study, apprenticeships, or engineering employment at entry level, the course combines the academic rigour of A Levels with the project management and practical engineering skills of the Level 3 BTEC in Engineering.
This is a full time course open to 16-18 year olds as an alternative to other post-16 study programmes, or to older students who will need to pay fees to Loughborough College. It can lead to degrees in physics, mathematics and many engineering disciplines or to apprenticeships and employment in space engineering or other engineering sectors.
“This full time programme combines A-levels with a Level 3 BTEC in Engineering. It will provide a solid knowledge base for students to progress in this challenging and rewarding area”
On the Space Engineering course you will study:
- AS and A-Level Mathematics
- AS and A-Level Physics
- Engineering – academic and practical studies through the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in
Engineering (equivalent to two A-Levels).
- Mechanical, electrical and electronic principles and applications
- Engineering design, including Computer Aided Drafting
- Mathematics for engineering
A wide range of engineering, physics, maths and other degrees (including space
engineering) at many high-ranking universities, and also to employment.
To study on this advanced programme we are looking for:
- GCSE grades A in mathematics, AA in science double award (or ABB in triple award),
B in English, plus another GCSE at grade B
- Highly-motivated, talented and ambitious learners
Special features include:
- Classes at the National Space Centre and Loughborough College
- Master classes and talks from some of the UK’s leading space scientists
- Work experience, industry visits and work-related projects
- An emphasis on the skills valued by employers
Nigel Grainger is now working and studying with leading global aerospace company Airbus, who are set to be involved in the UK’s first Spaceport.
“This course combines A Levels in Maths and Physics with BTEC Engineering. Taught in a space context you get a combination of academic and practical skills.
I could have taken the University route but decided I wanted to do something more hands-on and was thrilled when Airbus offered me a place on their Undergraduate Apprenticeship.”
Jess Bains received a full scholarship at the University of South Florida and plans to eventually join the European Space Agency.
“I might have been a bit hesitant about doing something like this a couple of years ago but the Space Engineering course has given me so much confidence I just can’t wait to get out there”
Live too far to travel?
The Advanced Level 3 Space Engineering programme is a unique offering from Loughborough College and the National Space Centre. If travel is a challenge why not consider our onsite accommodation?
- 170 single bedrooms in our purpose built, modern halls complex including a block specifically designed for under 18s
- Layouts range from six person units with a shared shower, toilet and kitchen to five/six bedroom units with ensuite bathrooms and shared kitchen amenities
- We also have rooms and facilities that have been adapted for disabled students (subject to assessment)
- All study bedrooms in the new halls include network points
- Loughborough College, its Halls of Residence and grounds are COMPLETELY NON-SMOKING
- Halls are situated on College campus. 5 minute walk to main buildings
- Halls are self-catering and have facilities where you can prepare your own meals. Alternatively, you can eat in the college cafeteria Monday to Friday and cater for yourself at the weekends.
For many years we have been helping students from all over the world ensure they are able to do courses that meet their aspirations and have accommodation suitable for their needs.
To find out more visit the College’s accommodation pages.